Sunday, January 23, 2011

Visit to Leamonaghan, St Monaghan's Well and St Monaghan's Shrine (Boher St Church) Co Offaly.

               OS Map 48. Grid Ref N 171 270.




Hi All.
I visited Leamonaghan, St Monaghan's Well and St Monaghan's Shrine in Boher St Church just after Christmas.
Bullaun in middle of road to right of St Managhan's Church.


Heres a photo of the information sign at the site. Great to see these information boards in these places.

Heres a pic of St Monaghan's church ruins taken from the small bohereen beside the well.



The bullaun Stone just outside the entrance to the well.








St Monaghan's well entrance....
The well itself complete with plastic dish of Padre Pio and money at the bottom....


Rag tree beside well....


All information on this site pre my visit I gained from here...  http://www.megalithomania.net/show/site/1309/st_manchans_church.htm


  








2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place Fionn. It has been on my list of places to visit for a long time. I think I might make the trip soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, having a good explanatory information board does create more interest even if some of the statements are erroneous. (from my alter ego CNOC-CNOC)

    ReplyDelete